Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Yowza

I really want to do something different with my comics. I'm becoming more and more intrigued by the prospect of using alternate mediums. I've been looking at this comic artist David Mack's work for the past couple of days. He does a comic called Kabuki that is pretty much unlike any other comic I've seen before.
There's collage and painting out the ying-yang (ring) in there. And it's not just the use of medium either, but also the arrangement of all of the information and a whole host of other reasons that makes it seem so innovative. I don't know if I could have ever thought of that stuff on my own. I want to be good enough to do this kind of shit. I've recently been feeling as though my work's too run-of-the-mill or average. I guess I feel like it's too "in the box." I want to make something new and different but I just have no clue as to how to go about doing it. I suppose I just have to give it a shot.

Also, I just read Jeffrey Brown's "Be a Man" comic--a parody of his earlier work "Clumsy"--and it's rather terrific. T'would be in thine best interest to checkith him out.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

I check your blog at least twice a day. No joke. I hang on your everyword.

Dchao said...

Do it up Maddie!!!
I'll let you borrow my Liz Prince comic. She's really awesome and is also like Jeffery brown and James K.

I also have this other comic that you should read called, "Black and White" Which is the same guy who made Tekkonkincrite...er however you spell that.

So, yes.

Oh yeah, I also have a shirt that I want you to try on to see if it fits you..Cause it doesn't fit me. But then again, our boobs are the same size. Lol.

Toby Jones said...

I'll bring some of the doritos home tonight.

Then you'll understand.

Then.

Then.

Ed Choy Moorman said...

two words: have fun!

ACTUALLY, the comic 3 final might be a perfect place to do some experimenting. most of the work you've done so far has been very traditional, so I'm sure Beatty would encourage you to push the boundaries in that way. and remember: it's OPEN ASSIGNMENT. you can do WHATEVER YOU WANT. your process can be whatever you like, your story can be whatever you like. I think you're nearly incapable of making something cool, so I think you can allow yourself to have no fear.